Thursday, November 18, 2010

No sun running aka pre-dawn

I have been running a lot lately to make up for some missed runs over the last several weeks. As a result of that I have been running early in the morning and as we all know there is now no daylight until about 630a, which
means I am doing a lot of running in the dark. To resolve some logistics I bought a pen LED on light. If your keeping track I have now invested in running shoes, a hydration belt, and now a pen light. All this is done to improve my running efforts.

As a result of my efforts I have realized some things. The first one is that it can be spooky to run when it is dark. Now when I run I tend to spend a lot of time letting my mind wonder and now I have to stay way focused on where I am because of not only the dangers of running when you can't see; but the spooky factor.

Let's start with the dangerous factor and that being that I can't really see where I am going and run the risk of falling flat on my face (I almost did a few days ago), then there are the dogs that I can't see, luckily they are still put up for the most part. Then there is the funny people who like to turn their brights on so I can't see no matter what...I just really love those jerks.

Then there is the spooky factor. I don't know about you, but I used to watch a lot of scary movies when I was younger. Since I don't listen to my head phones for safety reasons, I find that I hear a lot of new sounds I don't often hear when the sun is up and there are tons of cars, other runners (these people do find me an inspiration) and bicyclers. These new sounds are like this: thump, thump, thump and beat, beat, beat and shuffle/scrape, shuffle/scrape and then the heavy breathing. I try to keep my mind focused but these nosies follow my non-stop until the sun comes up. The sad part is that it does not help me turn run faster, but let's me realize that I can't out run whoever is chasing me because I CAN'T SEE!

I always feel better starting about 615a because the sun comes up and my eyesight improves and the scary noises start going away. I can then successful put the thoughts of being chased by Jason, Freddy, the guy from Saw, Jack Nickelson from the shinning all out of my mind because the scary dark parts of my run have faded with the light. Ahhhhh running with daylight is great.

Which reminds me I have to get up super early to hit the road before the sun comes up. I'm trying my best to stay focused on that January prize. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: