Thursday, October 20, 2011

I like running, really

I like to run and I really like to run both fast and long. There are multiple reasons for running both and honestly I can't really list them as I would like, but let me say that when I feel really froggy about my running I hit a special zone.



What is this zone you ask, well it is where I let it all go when I run. I haven't done it in a really long time mainly because I have been totally focused on my training. OK not totally focused, I took up weightlifting and I started coaching Sam's soccer team and later I'll tell you how that's been, but for now let me just say that experience was unique.



However, this past week I decided that I was going to make my short run into a fun run so I did. I started by turning loose and just feeling the flow and rhythm of my footfalls, the way I drew my breath, the peace that comes with no music in your ears and the sounds of the nature around you. I even felt safe enough at one point to hold my arms out, lose my eyes, and simply run... It was great I felt so free and so happy. I know that for many the idea of a runner's high sounds ridiculous and for many it will not be a way they choose to enjoy their endorphins, but If you do decide to run there will be those moments of high (and defiantly lows) but the highs far out weigh the lows it is worth it.

I will close with this from a famous movie about running. During Chariots of Fire the main character, Eric Liddell is quoted as saying "I believe that God made me for a purpose. But He also made me fast, and when I run, I feel His pleasure." I think something similar is true for me I too believe God made me for a purpose and I try everyday to live by his grace for his purpose, but when I run it is my opportunity to spend time in wonder at His grace and works. When I run I too feel his pleasure. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: