Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Good Friend

Recently I had a good friend and mentor of mine pass away. His name is Ron.

(This is Ron)


 He lost his battle with cancer last week and not to sound selfish or to diminish the loss of his family, I want to say that I miss him and his positive influence on my life. I was able to take an opportunity last weekend to consider where I am versus where I want to be and I am relearning the importance of keeping family, life, hobbies, and work in perspective. There were so many people that walked away from Ron's memorial with their great memories of my friend and his life with them that I came to realize that is how I want to be remembered by my friends. I want them to walk away with great memories of the times we spend together. Since Ron and I are both Jimmy Buffett fans I am reminded of a verse in the song Barometer Soup about “keep her well stocked with short stories and long laughs” and I want to keep the boat of my life well stocked with these things. Because of who Ron was I recognize that there is a greater lesson in that simple song for myself and how to make that verse become a greater reality, but I am going to save that insight for myself and continue to think on it. So, in much the same way he was my mentor and teacher when I started in my career as a counselor, he continues to set an example that I am learning from.


Thank you my friend.

No comments: