Monday, May 10, 2010

Runner Notebook

     I have just returned from a very long conference in Marietta. It was an important conference in order for me to keep my license so I can continue to work with people that need therapy and other types of help.


                                                                   This is where I stayed

     Well, since this is about my running and not about work let me get to the reason every one reads this blog. I did manage to keep to a schedule while at the conference. I got my three miles in on Thursday, but unfortunately it was on a treadmill, so no real challenge there. I took Friday off in accordance with the schedule. I did manage to get out for a few minutes Friday and do some sight seeing, so it was not a total rest day. I went to a local Confederate Cemetery. Now, if you don't know me that well, I truly love history. It is a passion I have had for years and I have been somewhat neglectful of that aspect of my life. When I got to the cemetery and began to walk around and read the writings of "Mattie" a woman who for the majority of her life was part of the women's club that maintained the cemetery. The best part was she lived to be over 90 years of age and was alive when the Civil War was taking place and her due diligence over the course of her lifetime to a cause and a people she loved and believed in spoke to me. I felt as if there was an electricity running all over my body as i read her story and the story that was etched into so many makers. I was so energized and made me remember how much I miss being connected to the history of my state and nation.
This is the nice lady who kept the journal for all generations

     However, I took that energy and thirst for history and on Saturday channeled it into a 4 mile run up and down Kennesaw Mountain. Now two things to keep in mind, in South Georgia there are no mountains and mountains go up the whole way....I know THE WHOLE WAY! That is until they go down and down is better. Well the run was exhausting and I have been having some cramps since returning home, my legs ache, but it was totally worth it as you can see from the picture the views were phenomenal. Not to mention the smells and sounds that were a feast for the ears and nose. There was so much honeysuckle that almost the entire run had an amazing sweet smell to it that was intoxicating. I heard bugs, squirrels, a doe (and saw it) while running. I had such a good run up the mountain, that I decided to hiking back up the mountain to further enjoy the mountain and look up on some of the most amazing views and of course look at how the mountain battlefield played such a role in the defense of Atlanta.
This was the view of Atlanta and Stone Mountain from Kennesaw Mountain. You can not see it well with my camera, but you could see it so well with your eyes. Amazing

I will not fool you the run time on Saturday is deceiving because going the mountain was so much easier. Over all the runs were good and the outside walking and exploring were a great way to blow off some of the frustration of a conference that did not live up to expectations. Well that concludes this entry. Tomorrow it is time to get back on the program. I will probably be doing a bit more running this week than planned to make up two missed runs from last week on my travel days, but that was a cost I was willing to pay.

As a side note, one of the best things about heading to the mountainous north is I get to visit two great Georgia land marks.

First The Varsity - No explanation Needed

The other was the Big Chicken - Yes it is a KFC, but where else in the world is there a BIG CHICKEN!


Yes I ate at both of these places with no feelings of guilt what so ever. Were you not paying attention, I RAN A MOUNTAIN AND HIKED THE SAME MOUNTAIN ON THE SAME DAY!!!!

No comments: