Monday, May 17, 2010

Test and Rest

Well, this past weekend was to be a 5k test run and I was unable due to work and vaction schedules, but I did not let that get me down. I ran on Sunday as if I was in a race and it turns out I kicked some butt on the run. Ready for this I was running an average 9:38 a mile and I never thought I would break the 10 min mile mark. I don't know what to think of all that. It was not easy and yes I was panting and hurting after the run, but it is good to puch oneself from time to time so that you know how hard and fast you can run. Now I am about a month away from my next 5k in Disney.

However, I also have to rest and I love Mondays since they are rest days on my training schedule and I am taking it easy tonight. Part of me is a little bored with the training program right now and I think I need to change scenary on my runs, but that is just part of what happens. I have also decided that I may need to change up my run list a bit and that will help break the montony. However, that is part of being mentally tough and it does allow for me to clear my head and reach a point of calm. So, it is ok if I find a blank spot as I run because it helps me to find my center. I know this may sound strange, but there is peace in the rythm of the breathing, footfalls, how the shoulders rise and fall...it is so worth the run.

Now on an unrelated note I have decided to look at what else I need to do to change my runns to increase speed and endurace. One way to do that is to loose a few pounds, so I decided to re-embrace one of my favorite dinning plans and that is the atkins high protein diet again. This will be fun and I am looking forward to get this wieght down before I run my first 1/2 marathon. I don't want you to know yet what the weight is I am looking at, but rest assured I will update you as time goes by. I will start tomorrow and we will see how it goes.

No comments: